Saturday, December 7, 2013

Priscilla Renea: "Rockabye Baby"

My son Mahonrai played her songs while driving back from their High School.  I'd like to think I've got an ear for good lyrics but never expected this one.  Priscilla Renea discusses the consequences of early sex and high school drop outs in a humorous musical way in this song.

"Little Miss Mary Mack had buttons all down her back.  She let Georgie loosen them up and now her belly's fat."

On the phone every day I talk to young girls around 18 years old who has already had a kid or three with no job, single and living off child support, disability or SSI.  In all my knowledge about SSI I never knew that  anyone below 65 can qualify.  I've always thought they were for retired 65 year old people.   It shocked me to know that there are so many young people living off SSI.

In the song it talks about Georgie leaving and abandoning Mary and the babies.  Yes, she had a second child.  Mary can't find a job because she dropped out of High School and didn't graduate.  Had no college education at all.  Then the struggles go on and the chain continues to the next generation.  Because there is no good foundation coming from the home. 

The song has a catchy tune to it and a I love this artist.  Priscilla Renea is one underrated artist.  She discusses issues in her music that deals with the consequences of wrong decisions.  Especially when it comes to teenage sex, even safe sex and marriage.  Young kids are not ready to have sex let alone get married.  There's an order to everything in this life and if we try to skip we'll end up falling on our noses.

No comments:

Post a Comment