Saturday, April 13, 2013

Of Monsters and Men: "Little Talks"

When this song came on, I found myself nodding my head to the beat.  I was in the car driving with the kids.  The unique tune and the hauntingly sweet female voice drew me.  I  made a mental note to look them up on youtube as soon as I get home.  The group's name itself threw me off.
OF MONSTERS AND MEN?  What kind of name is that?  Then I watched the Official Video and became more drawn to the strangeness of it all.

I just had to see how they look like.  So I typed in the LIVE version and wa la, there they are.  A bunch of talented young men and a girl, strumming their guitars, one drummer and another playing the oh-so-old-fashioned Accordion.  For Pete's sake I thought those things were extinct!  But "Little Talks" has a catchy happy tune with an old fashioned touch to it.  I wondered why they call it "Little Talks".

As I became familiar with the lyrics, it was like a flicker of flame lighting up my mind.  "Little Talks" is literary  just that!  They're having little talks or "small talks" throughout the whole song.  It became apparent they were childhood friends.  Grew up, fell in love and probably married and living in their own house.  Somehow, somewhere in time, perhaps insecurities, doubts or may be depression sets in.  She's hearing voices or going through a phase and her beloved is trying to offer his help (come hold my hand I'll walk with you my dear)  Or may be she's not satisfied with the way their lives are turning out.  Which is not foreign to a lot of married couple in real life. 

Eventually, they're torn apart by whatever demon haunts her.    But in their last desperate attempt to still stay together they both shouts: "Wait wait wait for me, please hang around.."  

Thou the truth may vary, this ship will carry our bodies safe to shores!"

This SHIP I prefer to think of as their LOVE!  It will carry them safe to shore.  

Everything else, their problems, their doubts and uncertainties are buried with their past.

How about that?  I've become a Music Analyst just listening to this song.  LOL.  Monster and Men are my new favorite group.

No comments:

Post a Comment